SPAM POP-UP SEPTEMBER 7, 14 & 21
Here’s a dining pop-up series that is creating quite the buzz in the local foodie scene. Dedicated to everyone’s favorite Hawaiian canned meat, yes, spam, this series is sure to please some and make others question the dedication of foodies.
MUSUBI MADNESS is billed as a pop-up experience focusing on exclusive and exciting menu items, which highlight the versatility and universal appeal of the iconic SPAM brand. The stars of the show are globally-influenced SPAM musubis from a build-your-own musubi bar, a SPAM corn dog and a SPAM soft serve sundae.
Presented by Foodbeast, this first-ever MUSUBI MADNESS pop-up is going down at LONO in Hollywood. And as previously stated, the event will feature a build-your-own SPAM musubi bar showcasing unique musubis that take cues from global fare out of Korea, Mexico, the Philippines, the U.S. and Vietnam. In addition to such deliciousness, the pop-up will include chef-driven items like a SPAM corn dog, which I’m cool with, and a SPAM soft serve sundae (now that sounds really strange—and that’s putting it nicely) as well as a SPAM-themed cocktail. The pop-up will be available only on three consecutive Saturdays—September 7, 14 and 21.
While this is a FREE event, seating is limited so RSVP ASAP.
Click here to RSVP.
The build-your-own MUSUBI BAR will include:
- U.S. - American Burger Musubi: This recipe replaces a traditional beef burger with SPAM Classic, but keeps the classic ‘secret’ sauce, grilled onions and American cheese.
- Mexico - Chile Verde Musubi: Playing a riff off the classic pork chile verde, this musubi recipe fries SPAM Classic in salsa verde, topped with queso fresco and sits atop Spanish Rice.
- Philippines - Filipino Lumpia Musubi: This version gets a satisfying crunch from crispy, savory Lumpia egg rolls and accompanied by garlic rice, SPAM Tocino and sweet chili sauce.
- Korea - Korean Fried Rice AKA Bokkeumbap Musubi: The highlight of this recipe is the bottom layer which features Korean fried rice, gochujang, kimchi and green onion.
- Vietnam - Spring Roll Musubi: This musubi takes on flavors from a Vietnamese spring roll, including cucumber, pickled carrots, egg roll crisps and nuoc cham, a sweet and vinegary dipping sauce.
SPAM-based dishes created by LONO executive chef David Lespron include:
- SPAM Corn Dog: A tasty blend of shrimp and SPAM Classic are encased in a togarashi-infused corn dog batter and topped with banana ketchup.
- SPAM Soft Serve Sundae: This unique, build-your-own dessert is a SPAM-infused ice cream that can be topped with furikake, teriyaki caramel, rum caramel, vanilla-braised pineapples and candied nuts.
- SPAM-themed Cocktail: A play on the famous tiki drink includes rum, pineapple, Cara Cara Orange, coconut creme served over crushed ice in a SPA® can.
MUSUBI MADNESS takes place on Saturday, September 7, 14 and 21 at LONO Hollywood, located at 6611 Hollywood Blvd.
Photography Courtesy Of: MUSUBI MADNESS